nav bar

about metutorialsmy housecontact me

Saturday, February 22, 2014

home updates {living room shelves}

I love all the character of our house, but one thing the house didn't have a lot of was built-ins.  I love me some old house built-ins... and maybe there used to be some that got removed during renovations over the years, who knows.

So I was really wanting some shelving in our living room.  I looked at lots of pictures of different types of shelving that Caleb & I could do ourselves for a quick-fix that still looked nice.  One major trend that I did like was the pipe shelving units like this one...

via
But honestly that option seemed really permanent, time consuming to construct, and more expensive.  Then I remembered the post from House Tweaking where she talked about her new living room shelves and I decided to go more of the metal track route...

via

I didn't get a great "before" picture because I didn't get my camera out until we started working on it. So here is my best before... {with one of the metal tracks already up}


The metal tracks comes in a gray metal, black, & white.  It took me a while to decide between gray and black, but I went with black because I have other black hardware in the room.




Installation of these are super easy and self-explanatory.


The stain I went with is the one on the far left, a Minwax brand - color is Ipswich Pine.  The boards we used are a stain-grade pine boards.  We have yet to secure the boards to the brackets, but we will do that... someday.  I like how they turned out!


Of course Rifle Paper Co. makes its cameo in my post...


This is a very easy shelving unit to DIY in one afternoon...we even did another one in my master bathroom!  But now is not the time to show pics of my bathroom. :)
 

19 comments:

  1. Love the shelves! I need something new above my computer desk like this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s really nice! Those shelves added some character into your living room. Actually, it look livelier and more well-designed. Anyway, I’m excited to see the difference they made in your bathroom!

    Iris Conner @ Agame

    ReplyDelete